The University of Kansas Weapons Policy strives to respect the rights afforded by the state's Personal and Family Protection Act while also addressing concerns for safety among members of the campus community.

Go to KU Weapons Policy

What is the Law?

In very simple terms, the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act allows the carrying of concealed handguns into most state buildings. Kansas Board of Regents and KU policy further describe campus specific procedures related for safe possession, use and storage of such weapons.

Where is Concealed Carry Prohibited?

Except for law enforcement officials, individuals may not carry a concealed handgun in locations where the university provides adequate security measures. Generally, concealed carry restrictions are event-based, for example, KU Athletics facilities where attendance is expected to be more than 5,000, or during some other large public events, where metal detectors and personnel are on hand as part of the event arrangements. With the exception of law enforcement officers, no one may carry a firearm of any type into any secured area in the facilities of the University Police. This list may expand as additional locations meet requirements.

What are Adequate Security Measures?

‘‘Adequate security measures’’ means the use of electronic equipment and armed personnel at public entrances to detect and restrict the carrying of any weapons into the state or municipal building, or any public area thereof, including, but not limited to, metal detectors, metal detector wands or any other equipment used for similar purposes to ensure that weapons are not permitted to be carried into such building by members of the public.

Where is Concealed Carry Allowed?

Concealed carry of handguns is allowed in most buildings on the Lawrence and Edwards campuses. The law does not allow individual instructors or employees to prohibit concealed carry of handguns in classrooms, labs, or offices to which they are assigned unless adequate security measures (detectors and armed personnel) are provided at all public entrances to the space.

What is the Policy?

KU and KBOR policy define the safe possession of handguns and responsibilities of the carrier. Simply put, handguns must be secured in a holster that covers the trigger area and secures any external hammer in an un-cocked position. The safety must be on and the handgun must be carried without a chambered round of ammunition. The handgun must also not be seen by others and be under the carrier's custody and control – on the body or in a backpack or purse – or in a safe storage device or secure location – such as a locked vehicle. Except when necessary for transferring to safe storage or self-defense, a handgun must not be openly displayed. Violations of policy may result in individuals being asked to leave campus with the weapon and being cited for trespass if they refuse. University employees or students who violate policy may face discipline through applicable university codes of conduct. Learn more by reviewing the policy.

Who May Carry a Concealed Handgun?

Individuals age 21 and older who are not otherwise prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm may carry a concealed handgun. A license is not required to carry. Kansas residents age 18 to 20 may secure a provisional license for the purposes of carrying a concealed handgun. The license requires completion of a safety training course. Kansas law also recognizes concealed carry laws of other states (reciprocity). An out-of-state student or visitor age 18 to 20 who chooses to carry may do so depending on the laws of their home state.  

It is not lawful to carry a firearm when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Federal regulations prohibit individuals with a nonimmigrant visa from possessing or receiving firearms or ammunition.

What is Considered “Concealed”?

Handguns must be in a holster on the body of the carrier and concealed by clothing. Handguns may also be kept concealed in a backpack or purse provided the backpack or purse is under the custody and control of the person. If a handgun is stored in a vehicle on campus, the handgun must be secured and concealed from view. KU policy also mandates additional conditions for all concealed handguns. It is the responsibility of the carrier to ensure the handgun is kept securely and not seen.

Is Open Carry Allowed?

No. Open carry of handguns or other firearms is not permitted on either the Lawrence or Edwards campuses. Anyone who sees an openly carried firearm on campus should call 911 immediately.

Can Students Store Handguns in Residence Halls or Campus Apartments?

Yes, provided students are lawfully entitled to carry a concealed handgun. When not on the person, the handgun should be stored in a secure storage device. Residents are responsible for acquiring their own approved handgun storage device.

If I carry a concealed handgun, can my Instructor Require that I be Separated from my Backpack or Purse During a Test or Lab Class?

Yes. KBOR policy provides that for times when class rules dictate that all purses and backpacks have to be left at a distance from students, university policies may require that individuals who want to carry a concealed carry handgun have it holstered and concealed on their person, instead of in a bag or backpack, before they arrive at the class. Instructors must give prior notice of such rules.

Where are Secure Storage Devices?

KU does not provide publicly available secure storage for concealed handguns. Students are strongly encouraged to think through their schedule and activities each day before deciding to carry.

  • Will you be working out at the Rec Center?
  • Are you in a class or group activity that requires a change of clothing or physical contact with others such as an intramural practice, or a theater, dance, or sport class?
  • Will you attend an event in a structure with adequate security measures, such as a men’s basketball game?

If you need to take part in activities that make your responsibility to conceal your handgun impossible or where concealed handguns are not allowed, ensure you have the ability and make time to securely store and conceal the firearm in your vehicle or in your residence.

I Just Witnessed a Violation of Policy/Law. How Do I Report It?

In an emergency, get to a safe area and dial 911. The emergency service works on all KU campuses and dispatchers will be able to send aid.

If it is not an emergency, dial 785-864-5900 on the Lawrence campus, or, on the KU Edwards Campus call the Overland Park Police Department, 913-895-6300.

The University of Kansas is obliged to follow this law. Any changes to the law must come through the state legislative process.